I’ve just come to the end of writing a long series (6 books) under my pen name Joss Stirling. All of these stories from Finding Sky to the last part Summer Shadows are told from the point of view of the six different heroines. I’m sometimes asked if I have a favourite.
I guess that Angel in Angel Dares is my front runner as she reminds me of my daughter, and she is energetic and impulsive which gets her into impossible situations. When I was writing as her, I found I set about life with more energy than normal – what I called my Angel effect. (Note to self, write more heroines like that who leak out into daily life!).
I thought for this post I would look over some of my favourite literary heroines in fantasy stories. This list, six in honour of my series, is fairly rough and subject to change, and I’ve purposely stayed away from the well known ones from the classics like Lyra in His dark Materials, but perhaps you might find some new ones here that you’d like to meet in summer reading? Most of these are in Young Adult books so do check before you start reading that it’s the right age for you.
- Alanna in The Song of the Lioness in Tamora Pierce’s quartet. Kick-butt girl refuses to follow tradition and instead trains in her brother’s place as a knight. And did I mention she has magic and a magic cat?
- Sonea in The Magicians’ Guild Trilogy by Trudi Canavan. Trainee mage coming from the lower classes struggles at college with other less powerful mages who despise her for her origins. Dark magic also enters the story.
- Yelena in Poison Study by Maria V. Snyder. Accused of murder, a prisoner escapes the noose by becoming the food taster for her country’s dictator. Plots weave around her involving spies and coup attempts.
- Xylara in Warprize by Elizabeth Vaughan. A princess follows her medical duty to heal right into the enemies camp.
- Ani in The Goose Girl by Shannon Hale. Retelling in lyrical prose of the famous fairy tale, quite, quite magical.
- Sabriel in the book of the same name by Garth Nix. A useful person to have around when the armies of the undead are on the march.
I hope you might also like to meet my heroines too: Sky, Phoenix, Crystal, Misty, Angel and Summer. Here’s my little box of sunshine when I took delivery of the final part last week.
And do leave me your favourites in my heroines swap shop! I’d like to meet some new ones too.