In three weeks time I was be starting a new job for the first time in 18 years!!! I’m going to be a drama teacher at a primary school where I’ll be in charge of teaching drama and putting on productions – my absolute favourite thing to do.
But being new somewhere can be scary whether you’re 5 or 50.
Every time I think about the FIRST DAY I feel as if I’m on a roller coaster teetering right at the top, just about to plunge over the edge – in other words SICK!
Here is a list of all the things I’m scared of:
1. No one will like me (there is no actual rational basis for this as I have lots of friends and my family seem to think I’m okay but I can’t help worrying that in this new place, not one single person will want to hang out with me)
2. I’ll be rubbish (not just a little bit rubbish, but so rubbish that everyone will wonder why on earth I got the job in the first place)
3. I’ll hate it (I even had a dream that on my first day the whole school turned into a sea and there was a shark and it bit off half my leg and in the dream I thought, ‘oh dear I’ve lost half my leg but at least I won’t have to come back)
4. I’ll be so nervous I’ll start to hyperventilate and no one will know what to do (I do get very anxious and I do hyperventilate sometimes. I’ve never hyperventilated at work, but there’s a first time for everything)
5. No one will like me, I’ll be rubbish, I’ll hate it and I’ll be so nervous I’ll start to hyperventilate (it’s so obvious ALL four things are going to happen not just one or two of them)
First days are always scary – first day of nursery, school, high school, college, university, new job. I know I won’t be alone!
But as the famous book says…we can’t go over it, we can’t go under it….there’s only one things for it – we’ve got to go THROUGH IT!
Good luck if you’ve got a first day coming up….bet you’ll be fab and everyone will love you!