Yay! I finished my latest novel (in a new series for Puffin) last week. So what happens when a book is pinged off to the publishers? In my case, this, and in this order…
1) I tell my husband it’s finished, and he gives me a high-five (while muttering, “Thank goodness…” under his breath, probably relieved not to have a wild-eyed, distracted wife – for a while).
2) I feel floaty-light and free!!!
3) I feel absolutely buzzing with energy.
4) I feel beyond exhausted.
5) I come down with a cold/bug/the plague.
6) I become allergic to the computer and studiously avoid it for a few days.
7) I treat myself to loudly coloured, extremely frivolous plants for the long-neglected jungle that used to be my garden.
8) I notice what a dump my once-neat office is.
9) I can’t speak in coherent sentences, as I’ve used up all the words in my head.
10) I buy a new notebook to start squiggling my next story in…
Dear other authors – what’s your end-of-a-book ritual?
Karen McCombie :c)